Saturday, February 19, 2005

Read & Digest

My resolute is that this year wud be a year a reading. 2004 was scarce reading with my source (read TI library) cut-off. Thankfully, with help from Vc I found a low-cost avenue for my supplies and stockpiled books, but this is going nowhere..After successfully getting ahead with some books, my last 3 books has been disastrous..I go to sleep within minutes of taking the book in hands :-)

1) "The Last Juror" by John Grisham -> Grisham, my fav authour is letting me down in this. I'm still in the middle of this book proceeding at slow pace. The story also moves at a very very slow pace with happenings at a rural backdrop in 1970's. Is this the same grisham who gave The Pelican grief and Runaway Jury etc..the legal thrillers which were simbly unputdownable!!

2) "City of Joy" - story about anandnagar slum and slumdwellers in calcutta by Dominique Lapierre. I read "O jerusalem" by same author couple of years back and still fascinated by that book, a masterstroke. But this book has so far been nothing but full of sorrows and a lot of shit(literally). Probably, since I know and seen most of what he is talking about, this really doesn't spring any surprise in me! I trashed this book after realizing i'm going nowhere with this book :-(

3) "CATCH-22" by Joseph Heller. "Catch-22 is like no other novel. It is one of the funniest books ever written, a keystone work in American literature, and even added a new term to the dictionary."
Yeah...I know Mr. but I'm at catch-22 with this book. Started this book some 3 years ago where I could get past just 20 pages..Gave it a shot last year, went up to 40 pages. This time I was determined. I started,re-started after i forgot in the middle how much i've read, crossed half-century before deciding to abondon this for good!
(one of my friend said that this novel makes a great reading when you read it for the second time!)..second time, you must be kidding!

Y'day, on the way back home picked a copy of 'Ananda Vikatan' (A tamil weekly magazine). Read it from front cover to back cover, top to bottom, every single word of it..ran through the mag coupla times for photos..thought i had almost forgotten tamil..
*Bliss* nothing else!

1 Comments:

At 11:21 am, Blogger Rama said...

machi,

try this, if you haven't.

http://www.readprint.com/work-841/Hermann-Hesse
http://www.manybooks.net/titles/hesseheretext01siddh10.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home